NC Horse Owners Can Apply for Interstate Health Permit

North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Horse owners who frequently travel out of the state of North Carolina with their animals for horse shows and festivals can take advantage of a new agreement between Southern states that will eliminate the need to obtain monthly animal health certificates.

The agreement between Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia will allow horse owners to apply for an Equine Event Permit that will be good for up to six months in any of the listed states. Some states had reciprocal agreements in the past, but this is the first agreement of its kind in South.

"I think equine owners will appreciate the savings this permit will offer in both time and money," State Veterinarian Dr. David Marshall said. "I don't think the extended length of the health certificate will affect the health of our horses. Event managers will still have the right to turn away any animal that is visibly sick, and Veterinary Division personnel will continue to make random health checks at events. The equine community is very conscious of illnesses and takes the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of diseases among animals."

To receive a permit, North Carolina horse owners must send proof of a negative Coggins test and Certificate of Veterinary Inspection along with an application and a $5 processing fee for each animal to the N.C. State Veterinarian. Owners must also submit proof of permanent identification, which includes tattoos, brands, microchips or digital photos showing the left and right sides, as well as a frontal view, of the horse. Digital photos will not be accepted as a form of identification in Louisiana.

The issued permit will be good for six months, unless the Coggins test expires beforehand. Owners will still be required to carry the Coggins information and original health certificate with them when they travel. Owners will also be required to travel with a microchip reader if the equine is identified by microchip.

The application and more information about the permit can be downloaded at the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' Veterinary Division website at, or by calling (919) 733-7601.
2004-2012 Horse Tack Review

 Horse Tack Reviews
 Submit Your Own Review!
 Search Review Database
 All Reader Reviews
 Staff Reviews
 Submit a Product for Review

 English Tack Reviews
 Dressage Saddles
 Jumping Saddles
 Close Contact Saddles
 All Purpose Saddles
 English Saddle Fittings/Pads
 English Bridles
 English Bridle Accessories
 English Show Apparel
 English Casual Apparel
 English Chaps/Boots/Helmets
 English Miscellaneous

 Western Tack Reviews
 Barrel Saddles
 Reining Saddles
 Roping Saddles
 Show Saddles
 Trail Saddles
 Western Saddle Fittings/Pads
 Western Bridles
 Western Bridle Accessories
 Western Show Apparel
 Western Casual Apparel
 Western Chaps/Boots/Hats
 Western Miscellaneous

 Horse Gear Reviews
 Horse Boots and Wraps
 Horse Health and Well Being
 Horse Apparel
 Horse Treats
 Horse Miscellaneous

 Barn & Stable Reviews
 Fly Control
 Grooming Equipment
 Stable Accessories
 Tack Room
 Training Equipment
 Barn and Stable Misc

 Barn and Stable Articles
 English Articles
 Feature and Misc Articles
 Grooming Articles
 Horse Care & Health Articles
 Horse Related Gift Articles
 News and Events
 Training Articles
 Western Articles

 Other Features
 About Us / Contact Information
 Articles & Subjects By Date
 Article Archives
 Join Our Mailing List
 Privacy Policy